February 16, 2009

There is a cool little cafe/deli place downstairs at Grand Central Station called Juniors. This one came recommended by my sister's sister-in-law who used to live here, and it really lived up to the rave review she gave it. Blaine loves pastrami, and he said this was just about the best he's ever had. I tried it and it was quite a delish. This may not be the healthiest thing to eat, but who can go to NY and not try all the famous foods?? Pastrami "one of the most sensual of the salted meats" ( for all you Seinfeld fans)
Two very cool things here. Times Square- totally overwhelming and it's way cool just to be standing here. This place that you always see on TV- wow! We're here! There's just so much to see you can't even take it all in. We came here earlier in the day first and got to walk around in the daylight, but it's a whole different place at night. Blaine said this was his favorite place to see of all the things we've done.
Also, the Subway.... I am so glad that this is not something I have to traverse on a daily basis. I can figure it out on the map if I study it long enough, but seriously, can you say CONFUSING?? It was really a cool thing to just hop on in one part of town and then only 15 minutes later be in a complete different part of town or even on the other side of the river. It wasn't at all scary like I thought it would be, but we didn't ride it later than about 10:00 PM. I sure wouldn't do it all alone though. I would probably get lost in the underworld of NY and never find my way out.

Macy's- The World's Largest Store. Okay, this is kind of funny... it's so true! At first it took us a bit to find the entrance, but believe me once you go inside, good luck finding your way out. There were so many levels and tucked away departments and hallways that led to really old wooden escalators that we almost got lost inside. The wooden escalators were cool, a true testament to how old the store is and how long Macy's has been around. Everything in NY is old, just updated over and over again. It's cool, but also really kind of icky in a way. Layers and layers of paint and plaster inside just about every building you go inside. Remodeling must be a big business here. Always great shopping though!

Our hotel was right down the street from Radio City Music Hall. SO New York.
This was just our first day. Hopefully I'll get the rest posted soon!

1 comment:

Marianne said...

Just found your blog..so fun!!! Cant wait for tomorrow morning!! We are big fans!